Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On

I was certain that all of the indie kids, the ones claiming that Eagles of Death Metal are super rad and whatever terms they use for “cool”, were wrong.  I figured that with their recent release it would be time for me to diversify my resentment towards another band.  I mean, when their lead singer Jesse Hughes stated, “EODM's latest fabulous weapon, a top-secret music missile, a sonic warhead sexually tipped for her pleasure, shot from the deck of USS EODM Mantastic Fantastic.”, on Spin.com about their new album “Heart On”, I had to hate it. First step, I made sure I didn’t pay for it.

I sit down on Thursday afternoon and take a deep breath thinking to myself, “Finally, I’m going to get some closure.”

To ensure I find as many reasons to dislike it as possible, I put on my noise cancelling headphones so I can pick out everything. I double click the first song “Anything ‘cept the Truth”, and the standard rock beat and clap starts. Something went wrong. This guitar solo is sweet, actually it rocks. Jesse Hughes chimes in with, “Ask me why I came so late, ask me why I made you wait.” I feel like he’s singing to me. I feel like I should be telling to him ask me why I came so late… so late to this band that is great. This song is really good to get me pumped to listen to the rest. My expectations are high now.

The idea behind the band is that one day Jesse Hughes was inspired by a polish death metal band to make music that sounded like The Eagles playing death metal.  “(I Used To Couldn’t Dance) Tight Pants” starts off just like this. The riff sounds like it was ripped from an Eagles song and the rock-hard-o-meter was turned up by 80 percent. It’s basically hard garage rock, and by the 3rd song on the album, I’m digging it.  As more songs go by, the album looses its intensity. The songs get more of a stoner rock feel as things progress.  The last song to catch my attention is “Cheap Thrills” which is at most a blaring jam.

Eagles of Death Metal seem to me to be a band that you’d want to have just in case.  Their music seems to be suitable to put on a party playlist and play really loud.  The lyrics focused on dancing, boogying, partying, and sex aren’t really too deep to interpret. I could imagine being able to just sit and appreciate their music for what it is. What I haven’t touched on is how danceable their music is. He’s not just singing about dancing and boogying, he wants you to because the beat of the songs are perfect. Overall, I’ll give “Heart On” a 1 out of 5 disapproval points. Their music is definitely good and deserves to be heard and listened to, plus I might actually buy their album now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment